Player Registration

Gordon Colts Match Reports 06/07

The Gordon Colts team plays in the Metropolitan Cup

For the Colts schedule go to Fixtures

Colts match reports for 2006/7 season are provided below:

How To Scrap For Position - Colts Report

How To Scrap For Position - Colts Report

How To Scrap For Position - Colts Report

Late changes in higher grades left the Colts a player short for the trip out to Whalan to play Blacktown this week. Tiddles had been on the phone all of Friday trying to rustle up another player but was unsuccessful in his quest. Millar assured him that Blacktown would win the toss and bowl and that we wouldn't need the 11th player until next week.

(Another LBW from Skins)

Whilst Blacktown did win the toss and bowl, the Colts could have done with the 11th player after throwing away a good start to be dismissed for a tick under 200. Legge and Weaver (29) provided a solid start to the innings and it wasn't until the later was rapt on the pads that Blacktown even looked like they were in the game.

At this point in the season, the Colts had only lost 8 wickets and 5 of them were adjudged LBW by their own team mates. It is about time that Tweety had a good word to the Colts about how to umpire. We could never ever be accused of cheating.

Marvz (1) quickly followed Weaver after being troubled by one of the quicker bowlers in the Blacktown team and Legge (47) guided a ball directly to mid-wicket to have the Colts in a precarious position a few overs before tea.

Skins and 'The Pizza Boy' Harris set about rectifying the situation and saw the Colts to 3/130 at the break. Not much to report from the tea break. Most of the team stayed within the confines of the dressing sheds as there were numerous warning signs about concealed used syringes. This, however, didn't stop Skins, who cited that 'you can only catch HIV once'. He brought back most of Mt Druitt's food supplies to an ever-so-grateful team. A real team player  even when struggling with the demands of Falk's delicate palette.

Although this was the first time Skins (20) had batted out in the middle, he blasted balls to all parts of Whalan Reserve before lobbing a simple catch to mid-off after the break. It was a disappointing end to his innings and set in motion the next couple of wickets to fall. Harris (40) checked a shot to mid-off and Selby (6) was unlucky to be given out after jamming the ball into the ground before popping up to 1st slip.

This brought Millar and Falk to the crease and they set about creating a platform for the lower order to compile some much-needed runs. However, it wasn't to be with Millar (28) blasting a short ball to backward square and then Ranney (0) confirming that he isn't in the team for his batting.

Clifford, a late - but important - inclusion into the Colts, saw out a couple of balls before Falk (9) was fired by Skins. 6 LBWs!!!


It was 3 groups of 3 quick wickets each that kept Blacktown in the game and prevented the Colts from gathering momentum and putting a respectable score on the board. Too many cheap wickets fell to lazy, misguided shots and cost the Colts posting a formidable target.

A tight spell of 18 overs by the Colts saw Blacktown close out the day at 2/28, with Ranney picking up the two wickets to fall.

It would be great to see everyone at training this week, working hard at their bowling and fielding. Whalan is a big ground, the outfield will be fast and the pitch will more than likely be rolled, cut and will provide little for the bowlers this coming week. We need to work hard to wrestle back this game and continue our push for points.


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham Green - Grand Final

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham Green - Grand Final

Back - to - Back!!!

Oh what a team. The day had finally arrived the boys had been waiting for all year. Having gone through the main draw undefeated, and a great victory in the semifinal, there were those that thought, you just had to lose at some stage. Well this just wasn't the case. The pitch looked fantastic, however the opposition, knowing they would win the toss with one Mr Millar projecting the coin into the air, had a tough decision. They were well aware that they needed to bowl the Colts team out if there were to have any chance at victory. Just two weeks earlier the Colts had dismissed Randwick for 72 on a similar looking pitch.

The Metropolitan Cup... and assorted others

The wise old figure head of the opposition more commonly referred to as 'Grouch-o' (not a real terrifying nickname) made then the only appropriate decision and sent Gordon into bat. It was a warm day and the Gordon players had stuck to their standard pre-game routine the night before. They were all fairly tired. But this was no deterrent on their undying spirit and will to win.

Mike Weaver who has had an exceptional season in the lower grades, was full of confidence striding out to open and Cam Crawford certainly looked the part with his armband strategically positioned. The two started very positively, there was certainly some life in the pitch but the boys diffused this magnificently and created a solid foundation for the rest of the team to build from. At this stage Dave Millar, who for the 15th time for the season had told us this was an important game, (yes, now it finally was an important game) was nice and relaxed.

That was about the last time for a few hours that Dave was a relaxed individual. For while the remaining batsmen didn't by pure definition of the word 'collapse' they came very close to it. It is true that the batting has never really been tested all year, but full credit to the Randy Petes boys, they bowled consistent lines, and waited patiently for a mistake. There were a few loose shots, some unlucky dismissals but all in all, the boys knew they could have posted more than 182, that was the eventual innings total.

At this stage tea was called and it is fair to say it was the best tea of the year by far. With co-ordination from Mr Millar, some delightful treats from the lads, it was a spread to be proud of. Twas just a shame it couldn't be enjoyed more.

This is a rare shot of Skins NOT playing through midwicket

With four sessions to bat for and only 180 odd runs required the ball was surely in the Randwick-Petersham camp. The Colts team were not used to this and decided in very quick time to do something about it. Cam fired the boys up with a speech Al Pacino, or Mel Gibson would have been proud of. But as the saying goes it was deeds not words that were going to be required for victory.

Andrew Lappan is not your typical fast bowler, for one he wears glasses, none the less, the kid can bowl, and for the last three weeks he as terrified and ripped the opposition top order to shreds. He did exactly the same thing on Saturday. Skins isn't exactly a typical fast bowler either to be fair, and after 4 overs was suitably stuffed and retired to 2nd slip (one wicket under his belt and a massive batting performance to boot ' Ed.).

James Campbell was the star with the ball. His left arm swinging, dipping, cutting, sliding, ripping, balls caused all sorts of trouble for the batsmen, He finished his spell with 3 beautiful wickets. Co-incidentally three is also the number of drinks that James can handle. More on that later. Dave Millar also picked up a cheeky wicket. Sam Ranney was unlucky not to pick a wicket. But oh well.

This sudden rush of wickets in very short time left the opposition in disarray to say the least. The Colts were going for a SB (Season Best) and trying to bowl them out for less than 72. The day was called to a close when it was determined the light was to dark. Randwick Peterhsam 6/28. Dave was happy again.

The covers were then placed in expert fashion. There has been some speculation that Skins needs a lesson in how to peg down covers. However, these claims are totally unjustifiable. And if Today Tonight would like to issue a lie detector test he would be more than happy to step up. Dave asked for the covers to be 'rigid' (still not sure what that means exactly) and rigid they were.

James Campbell in fine form with the ball - pity about his efforts off the field

Day 2.

The covers blew off in the middle of the night.

This unfortunately meant the Gordon boys were denied the opportunity to finish the game in style. Mike Weaver unfortunately wasn't there for the presentation, not being a very big fan of resorting back to non-daylight saving hours, he launched a silent protest. He just forgot to tell anyone.

However such is life and the Gordon Colts were deemed Premiers for the 2006/ 2007 season. Dave took it upon himself to inform the dog walkers at Beauchamp Park, and put the white spray paint to good use on the field. Just a shame Dave can't spell. Gordon Dave, not Gondon. Stick to Maths buddy.

While the man might not be able to spell, he did lead a young team through the season undefeated in his first year as captain to claim back to back premierships. Not a bad effort at all. Everyone who has played under him this season has enjoyed their time immensely. Congratulations Dave. Great work.

All that was left now was to retire to the Greengate for some refreshing Lemon Squashes and a casual game of chess. Somewhere along the way however something went wrong. Drink spiking is a growing problem in Sydney and the Colts team were victims of this on Sunday night. Thus hear Endith this lesson, as after 9:00pm no-one has any recollection of anything really.

Finally good luck to the Thirds in their grand final this week, a great display last week that you can defiantly back up this week. Good Luck.

A great season, with a great finish, and a great bunch of blokes.


(It should be noted that Ian batted with maturity well beyond his years to ensure the Colts posted a defendable total. With wickets constantly falling around him, he chose the right balls to dispatch to the boundary. A clever and powerful display of hitting ensured that the Colts were in with a big chance. He then backed it up with the ball taking an important first wicket to set the match up for the taking ' Ed.)

Colts Report vs Blacktown - Semi Final

Colts Report vs Blacktown - Semi Final

Colts make it through to Grand Final

Everything was as it should be, Weaver was late (apparently ran out of petrol), Millar forgot the cordial, Rangy decided against sleeping of Friday night so that he could get in some practice before St Patrick's day and the sightscreens still needed to be set up. The stage was set for what the Colts had been building towards all season. With an undefeated record for the regular season the boys were keen to impress and what followed was one of the greatest games of touch football to warm up that has been witnessed all year.

Lappan takes 4 wickets against the Warriors

But then something went wrong. It is a well known fact that with 2 sides to a coin the chance of winning a toss is 50%. Millar being a mathematical genius should well be aware of this. Not so. A standard warm up for the Colts includes Dave losing the toss. Everyone enjoys this as it means everything is in order, and the fielding warm up can commence. On this particular occasion, by some incredible miracle Dave won the toss, (well the other captain may have in fact lost it, but we shall give Dave the credit on this occasion). An earlier inspection of the pitch revealed a rather green top. This has tricked numerous visiting captains in the past, however Dave saw something else in the pitch and the call came to bowl first. And just quietly what a decision it was.

Lappan and Skins were given the new ball and Lappan wasted no time in tormenting and generally playing with the opposition. Eventually he got bored of this and decided to take some wickets. Two caught behinds, taken gracefully by Mr Selby combined with two spectacular catches by Mr Turner at gully, with the addition of none to little runs on the scoreboard, well and truly put the Gordon boys in a strong position. Skins from the other end struggled early, he had to contend with huge headwinds and a 6-8% incline from the southern end. Eventually his superior fitness prevailed and when the batsmen failed to hit the ball the stumps were dismantled.

During the warm up, Jason 'ManChild' Russell-Jones had a stroke of genius when he described the art of 'foxing'. Typically involving one fielder 'missing' the ball on purpose, thus luring the batsmen into a false sense of security and thinking they can sneak a run. Little do they know another fielder is waiting in anticipation for this fatal mistake and then throwing the stumps down. The theory is as sound as other grand plans throughout history such as the Trojan horse, and the flying V. The opportunity arose halfway through the first hours play. However it didn't happen as Jason described, what was acted out was a comedy of errors from James Campbell, an heroic effort from Jimmy Ellison and ended in tragedy for the number 4 batsmen from Blacktown. The idea of foxing, however, is a tactic that may come in handy for the coming week.

All that remained after drinks thus was for the remaining four wickets to be taken. The boys were well aware of letting things drift and dug in to finish the innings in style. Ranney bowling consistent as usual picket up two wickets. James Campbell returned the awful figures of 1-0 to complete a comprehensive first sessions play with Blacktown out for 41.

Weaver and Cam confidently saw out the last over before lunch, and then the boys turned to the important issue of the day, the chicken shop. It is best not to go into this as it may take several more pages.

Ranney takes two wickets to dismiss the Warriors for 41

It was a wonderful change for the lads not to then have to go out and umpire and, with Ed Howitt Senior taking over scoring duties, the boys could relax and enjoy the placid shot selection of Mike Weaver. The ability to score the required runs was never in doubt, the more important job was to occupy the crease for an extended period of time, and gain some valuable batting practise.

The first wicket of Cam Crawford fell just before the Blacktown total was passed. JRJ was looking impressive. He had managed to avoid being run out and bowled by the dreaded full toss and even the run out off a full toss. He unluckily clipped one down leg side that the keeper got his hand to. Turner and Selby in the middle order were also looking solid however they came undone. Ian 'Skin and Bones' Skinner and Millar then found themselves at the crease and with tea just around the corner the mission was to just stick around. This was a tough decision, as tea was looking especially good. None the less the two dug in, and both were able to enjoy tea and the rain set in. From 0/39 the team had collapsed to 5/60 before Millar and Bones resurrected the score to 80 odd.

 The rest of the afternoon was bit of a non event. It appeared at one stage that Ed Howitt, Higgins and Iqbal had turned up to take down the sightscreens however this was not to be. The day was finally called at about 17:00 hours. Not a bad day's play, still the boys were under the instructions to take it easy and rest up, as it was not known what could happen on Sunday.

Skinner dispatches one somewhere near Roseville

It is fair to say, Sunday the 18th March was the first time in many months most of the team had been up before 11:00am. With the pitch showing signs that the boys need a few lessons in laying Hessian, most of the mornings activities involved watching Ireland complete their victory over Pakistan on numerous 2x2cm mobile phone screens. Still it beat watching the grass dry. Ranney knew the match was going to be delayed, so didn't bother to turn up until just before play got underway' an hour late.

With the opposition captain eager to get going, play commenced at 11:00, with an interesting looking pitch and very slow outfield. It was an ideal chance for the middle order to gain some valuable centre wicket practise, and Skins and Millar were keen to stick around. Unfortunately, Skins, Jimmy, Lappan, and Ranney didn't do this for long enough. All got starts and looked good, (much like the rest of the team) but failed to consolidate. This is a key aspect that must be addressed for the coming week.

The morning belonged to captain courageous, a delicate combination of stroke play and defence, along with some speedy running between the wickets resulted in a well orchestrated half century. Disappointingly, though he showed no faith in his no 11 and left poor James Campbell stranded at the other end not out, attempting a full-blooded slash down to mid on. Just like his inability to win a toss all season, Millar forgot to check if there was someone fielding on the fence. A great captain's knock though, hitting himself into form, and securing the game. The match was now beyond doubt, and much to the delight of everyone involved the game was called to a close. One of the best renditions of the club song was then harmonised in a glorious D major.

A sensational win to the Colts and some solid form that will be carried into the final this week. Great stuff lads.


Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham Green - Round 13

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham Green - Round 13

Colts Finish the Regular Season Undefeated.

The Colts faced the also undefeated Randwick-Petersham Green team at Beauchamp Park, already assured of top spot by virtue of three outright wins but knowing that an undefeated season is very rare and something to really aim at.  It was fantastic to see a great number of future Stags (along with their ancient Stag parents ' Tim Conde, Billy Wawn, Mike Amos etc) having their last Have-A-Go session on the park before they enjoyed a most distracting (you know ' that smell of cooking sausages?) barbecue. 

(Skinner despatches ball into park on Saturday)

All these youngsters, proudly wearing their Gordon t-shirts, created a fantastic scene and it's a real credit to Michael Berman and all the other organisers.

The wicket looked a belter and Captain Millar, having won two tosses on the trot (taking his tally of wins for the season to three), felt relatively confident.  He lost.  Gordon were fielding first and strode out to the centre to the cheers of the largest crowd many of them had ever played in front of.  Unfortunately, after about half an hour once the sausages ran out, this crowd diminished to a gentleman sleeping off a hangover on the hill and a dog with only three legs.

It quickly became clear that it was not such a bad toss to lose.  The ball moved substantially off the deck and swung a fair bit as well. 

(Colts No. 1 spectator)

The early Randwick-Petersham batsmen played and missed a number of times and it was not long before Andy Lappan and Ian Skinner (more about him later) struck.  As wickets fell, discussions arose amongst the more mathematical Colts as to how many balls had been faced without runs being scored off them. These comments were challenged by the more academically-gifted humanities students in the side who had to speak slowly, using only monosyllabic words so that the mathematicians could understand them. A couple of good catches were taken, one by the Lapman who was having some trouble focusing.  Fortunately, the ball hit him and popped forward into his hands.  Captain Millar, bowling with good movement, took four wickets in the middle order and no partnerships of any proportion ensued.  The Randy-Petes' innings folded at 72 ' an excellent performance by the Colts who bowled and fielded most capably.

The Gordon innings commenced and again the ball moved around a fair bit.  The going was tough and the Colts found themselves 3-27.  Two of the early wickets were run-outs.  Both were careless and could have been avoided (Jason R-J will be running a seminar on his dismissal on Tuesday at Chatswood Oval at 5.15pm ' don't miss it!). 

Harry Turner batted very sensibly, hitting the loose ball through the field and running well. Hugh Selby was dismissed after looking excellent and things were a bit rocky at 4-44.  Skinner strode to the crease, obviously with a 3 o'clock appointment.  A couple of very solid defensive strokes were followed by some less subtle shots, including a big six.  Game over after 21 overs with Harry on 24* and Skins 19*. Two bonus points and Minor Premiers by 19 points.  A fantastic season, so far.  Particularly meritorious because of the number of players and fill-ins during the year.

(Harry Turner drives on Saturday at Beauchamp)

Now to Skinner.  Skins.  The Skinster.  Skinnyman.  Opening bowler and hard-hitting batsman.  Never out of the game.  Early wickets.  Later on, the first ball pitched up to him would end up in the Beauchamp hedge.  A match winner, one would say.  Will play much higher grades next year.  One interesting decision in this game, however.  A rank full toss was met with an equally rank stroke by a Randy-Pete batsman.  The ball is skied towards mid-on, a fairly regulation catch.  But no - the call comes from Skins (fielding somewhere near the Fresh Produce Department at Chatswood Chase) ' 'MINE!'  Realising that Skins is built more like a Matthew Hayden than a Steve Colley, the other fieldsmen stand aside. 

As the ball enters the downward part of its arc (with due deference to our mathematicians), Skins is still coming.  As the ball hits the ground with three fieldsmen standing within two metres of it, Skins is still coming.  As the drinks break is taken two overs later, Skins is still coming. 

As the innings closes and the other Gordon players meander up to the chicken shop for lunch, Skins is getting closer.  He eventually reaches where the ball landed just as the Gordon opening batsmen are striding to the crease.  Unlucky!

(Never fear Sam was in next)

So, the new season starts now.  Semi-finals are a different breed and bring out a whole new range of emotions.  There is no reason why this team should not continue on their winning way if they play sensible, thoughtful cricket and take their chances.  All Club members are encouraged to support them next weekend (probably at Beauchamp Park) as they go for two in a row.

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham Gold - Round 12

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham Gold - Round 12

A solid win against Randy-Petes Gold

Late changes to some of the more senior teams saw the Colts side have around 15 new players this week. In a preparation rivalling the constant changes seen in the lead up to the All Blacks' world cup side, let us all hope that we don't mirror the perennial chokers in one aspect of our game.

Millar started his game more like Ranney - with one hour's sleep. This, however, was due to running the Orientation Week program at UNSW (of which Harry Turner attended) and not because of the lack of buses going to Lane Cove at 5:30am. With no coin tossing practice to speak of, Millar strode out their confidently and won the toss. Electing to bat on a green deck and a slow outfield. This may have been considered by many to be a poor decision; however, it paid dividends later in the day.

Ellison smacks one off the back foot

Turner and Weaver opened the batting and it wasn't long until Turner was caught playing at a wide one. This brought Millar to the crease, who stuck around for a while but was fairly useless without a full quota of shut-eye. With the shine off the ball, Hugh Selby began to make light work of the bowling before being trapped in front for a quarter century. Weaver, who had played a good innings, was run out in strange circumstances. However, this isn't all that unusual for Weaves; so perhaps one should have written 'in usually strange circumstances'. 4/122

Ellison and Jono Wigham, who kindly offered to play for us on the first Saturday, put together a good partnership before Jono was softly dismissed, pushing at one off the spinner. Matt Selby played his part before holding out at mid-off playing a little too hard at a slower delivery. Falk soon followed, but not before Ellison began to play himself into some good finals form.

The past three games have really seen a coming of age and maturity of James. He is batting with purpose and has performed well at critical times with both the bat and with his safe pair of hands in the field. This game saw him tough it out and play a supporting role to Selby (Hugh and Matt) and Jono Wigham, until he was comfortable and then when he knew he had to get on with it, he began to find the gaps and keep the scoreboard ticking over. This made it all the more disappointing to see him smash one straight to mid-wicket to be dismissed for 30.

Lappan was dismissed cheaply and Ranney, looking to prove he has some magic with the willow in hand, added a few more to the total before Will Reed was trapped in front. In two attempts, Will has failed to score a run off the timber, but has added at least 10 valuable leg byes. A true team player.

All out for 208 in the last over of the day. With the long grass and a forecast of rain throughout the week, it was a good total. The bowlers would have to bowl well the following week to contain this Randwick-Petersham side.

Lappan performs with the ball in hand - a miserly spell of top quality bowling

Day 2 saw Millar Snr put on the creams for the second time this season, however, he was unable to join in the warm up as he was busy putting a cord into Millar Jnr's slightly larger pants. Last time, against UTS-Balmain, he fielded more than half the balls during the day. This time he came prepared. Kingsgrove Sports Store was paid a visit and a brand new pair of spikes was purchased. Pity he only fielded about 5 balls throughout the day.

Lappan and Reed opened the attack and bowled ridiculously tight lines. Lappan had 8 runs hit off 12 overs and Will Reed had 5 hit off his 6 overs. Some good catching behind, and in front of the wicket, saw the opening pair pick up the first three wickets and in doing so, remove a couple of danger men in the Randy-Petes side.

Millar came on and, with some advice from Matt Selby, took two poles, knocking stumps back, to take 2/16 from 10 overs. Ranney and Falk, bowling in tandem, picked up the remaining wickets between them shortly after the luncheon interval to dismiss the opposition for 111, just the wrong side of the follow-on target for the Gordon boys to have another tilt at them.

With that, the Colts took an unassailable lead into the final round, in which they play the other Randwick-Petersham side. It will be interesting to see how many of the boys in the Green side were in the original Gold side when we played them at the start of the season.

For the fourth time this season the Colts will be playing the highest run scoring side at that current point in time. Let's hope we continue our good form into the last game against the second placed team and then on into the final series. Good luck boys!


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs UNSW - Round 11

Colts Report vs UNSW - Round 11

Hard fought win for Colts

After playing out at Alexandria the week before, it was a great feeling for the Colts side to be back at Beauchamp. The outfield was lush. It is always lush at Beauchamp. The groundsman has been doing a fantastic job this season and it is great to be playing cricket at Beauchamp. The pitch was consistently hard, had a slight tinge of green and would be a great deck to bat on if we were able to negotiate the new ball.

"Bones" Skinner on his way to an important 93

Normally Millar wouldn't even consider the deck or the outfield. That would be the job of the UNSW captain. The coin has only fallen in his favour twice this year ' even worse than Howitt jnr. However, with some advice from Cam Crawford and some scientific backing from Rod MacDonald, the coin came down with the Queen smiling back and Millar chose to bat.

 Crawford and Weaver, another new opening pairing for the Colts side, strode to the crease and were tempted into a few shots wide outside the off stump. Both looked scratchy and need to get in a few good net sessions before the finals begin. Crawford smoked a couple of lovely shots before being caught in the slips flaying at a wide one.

Harry Turner and Hugh Selby were soon in together and both were dismissed chasing balls wide of the off stump. It was a shame, because both of them had made a resolve to dig in and build their innings. Nevertheless, it was left to Ian 'Bones' Skinner and Jimmy Ellison to bring the team out of a precarious position at 4/50.

Both players have spent some time in the middle recently and they are beginning to get to know how each other plays. Bones is a great judge of length and sweats on those balls he knows he can put away. Otherwise, he is careful and calculating in letting balls pass and defending balls into gaps. Ellison is beginning to rise to the occasion and build not only his own innings but partnerships as well. Whilst not as powerful as Skinner, he kept the score ticking over with singles and well run twos.

With the score at 140, Ellison lost his wicket to another catch behind the wicket and this brought Rod MacDonald to the crease. Known solely for the fact that his is required to fill in for games against UNSW and South Sydney, Rod made the most of some tired bowlers to whisk the score along and continue to swing the pendulum back Gordon's way. Bones began to loosen the shoulders and deposit balls into Chatswood Chase, giving the run rate a much needed boost. However, on 93, just 7 short of a much deserved and important century, he gave a simple catch to the UNSW boys and brought an impressive and valuable innings to a close.

Ellison crunches one off the back foot 

Millar joined MacDonald and knocked a couple of balls into gaps to ensure Rod would have the strike against the older spinner from the Students. Rod decided that some of Skinner's powerful blows had been given too much credit and despatched the spinner for 6-4-6 and brought up his half century. Whilst the Students were searching for the ball in some rose bushes in a house deep in Roseville, Rod informed Millar that he would block out he remaining deliveries in the over because he felt the bowler didn't want 'some little upstart pumping him to all corners when all he wants to do is have a bit of a bowl on a Saturday arvo'.

Fair enough. Millar didn't really understand and replied, 'Just don't get yourself out doing anything cute and fancy'. Rod stepped back, gave himself room and late cut a ball onto his stumps. The skipper was thoroughly unimpressed with that 'less than ideal' shot. This brought Falk to the crease.

Millar smacked successive fours off an old school sparing partner before being dismissed for a run-a-ball 24 by the UNSW captain with a well disguised slower ball. Falk had punished a few deliveries but wasn't afforded the opportunity to continue as Ranney came to the crease and, in only his 4th bat this season, played like his has done so in the nets all season. Pity for Sam there is fielders in the real game. His excuse, 'Falky said we were going to declare so I had to go for it'. The day finished at 9/268 leaving Falk and Campbell not out on 15* and 0* respectively.

Rod has become a regular fixture for UNSW matches

Day 2 saw Campbell hitchhiking down the Pacific Highway after no-one was willing to give him a lift to the game. Turning up with no batting gear, Campbell left Falk stranded on what would have been a magnificent triple hundred and left Millar with no option but to declare.

A few tired (sore) heads struggled with the weekly sightscreen construction and they were even more confused by the removal of some of the benches within the change room. Would this be a sign? Cricketers are an absurdly superstitious bunch. Would the tables be turning for the Gordon boys?

Weaver was late to the game. Although there weren't too many of the boys that noticed. 5th and 6th grade have been highly amused by the number of different excuses that Weaver has given the boys as to why he has been consistently late to games. However, the well seems to be dry. No good story, no funny anecdote, just a simple 'I had things to do and' well' I didn't leave enough time for them'.

The Gordon boys took the field with confidence and it wasn't long until they struck. After playing and missing at a few balls one of the openers made the fatal mistake of getting bat on ball and in the process following Rod MacDonald the last week and chopping onto the stump off Jimmy Campbell. Bowlers are generally much more useful with the ball than they believe they are with the bat.

Bones picked up the next one, removing the off stump of the other opener.

When Campbell picked up the 3rd wicket, Gordon were in a strong position at 3/21 after 20 overs. It was a grind for the UNSW boys. The bowling was tight, although not always penetrating, and gave nothing to the opposition.

Soon after the break Ellison took a screamer off Ranney just behind square leg. It was the first of three match winning catches that Ellison took throughout the day. With a solid innings to pull the Gordon boys out of trouble at 4/50 coupled with the 3 catches in the UNSW innings, Ellison had a massive impact on the outcome of the game.

Perhaps it has been the fact that other teams have easily capitulated or perhaps it was the lack of incentive with a finals place already assured, but the boys took the foot off the accelerator and the other foot off their throat. Regulation waist high catches were put down and fielding became sloppy at best. The boys stopped enjoying their cricket and the bowlers began to get frustrated.

Always a Gordon man, Falk put in for the Colts

With only 60 runs being scored in the first 40 overs, for the loss of 4 wickets, the UNSW team ' who are fighting for a spot in the finals ' needed over 200 runs in the final 40 overs to take something away from the match. After lunch they began in a flourish. Quick running between the wickets and some hard hitting began to get them closer to the 5 runs an over they needed to win the match. It took some brilliant fielding and a good throw by Cam Crawford, forever lurking the covers, coupled with a good take from Selby, to bring about a run out that ended the 5th wicket partnership.

In came a bloke who proceeded to score 50 runs over the top of gully. The bowlers struggled to find a good line and length and began to despair with the luck the batsman had. It didn't help that he was put down in a regulation 2nd slip catch but he made the most of the one shot he could play. The batsman at the other end was put down very early and by this time had made 60-odd and was looking to take the game away from the Stags. It took a good catch by Ellison, again fielding just behind square, to dismiss this batsman and then another good catch at deep long off to dismiss the UNSW captain. 2 big turning points in the match.

It was now a matter of whether the Gordon boys could pick up the final three wickets to secure the victory. The match was out of reach of the UNSW boys, needed 80 from 10 overs with only 3 lower order wickets remaining.

A good ball at the end of Skinner's spell and a high catch to Crawford saw the first of the 3 to fall. This brought the UNSW player they call 'Spinal' to the crease. He proceeded to shut up shop with the other player, clamping down on anything, no matter how inviting the bowlers were making it. It took a premeditated dive across the pitch for Millar to snare a fingertip catch, right handed, square in the middle of the pitch. It could have ended in disaster if the batsman had hit the ball hard but that was never ever going to happen.

Most players were just surprised that Millar could move that quickly. Millar was too. Never have the words agile and athletic been heard in the same sentence as Millar. They probably never will again.

A less promising fielding position for Millar

Crawford too the last catch. A good one, looking right up into the sun. It brought a close to a tough match in which the boys twice brought themselves out of danger to secure another 6 points and remain undefeated. UNSW all out for 190

Plenty of beers were shared with the opposition and, with the arrival of some late, but fabulous, afternoon tea, it was the most enjoyable post match gathering this season. Hard cricket was played on the field and the UNSW boys were a great bunch of blokes off the field.

Two rounds to go against the two Randwick-Petersham sides. The boys need desperately to get to training and work on their catching and general fielding. They all need to take the net sessions seriously, batting like they would in the first fifteen minutes of the match and bowling like they would throughout the day.

Each player needs to stand up and be counted over the next few weeks. With a few players coming back from injury and holiday this week, there will be a fight for positions as the finals approach. It is time for tough and accountable cricket to be played by all eleven players. Most of all, it is time to have fun and enjoy the experience. Let's work towards the joint goals of an undefeated season and more importantly, a premiership.


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs South Sydney - Round 10

Colts Report vs South Sydney - Round 10

Colts Match Report vs South Sydney

Having played on the 'interesting' Alexandria Park wicket last year, the captain was quite convinced about what he would do when he won the toss. He would bat'or bowl'probably. The toss was lost (thank goodness!) and Souths decided to bat first. A worrying event as the captain was also the groundsman! What was going to happen later?

Lappan in action last year at Alexandria

Andy Lappan and James Campbell opened the bowling and immediately the ball beat the bat repeatedly, not necessarily always through good bowling ' the variation in bounce was 'interesting'. A couple of early wickets and no great urgency in the run scoring department ' survival was the key ' had the Stags in a good position, although there were a number of sundries from wides and byes (particularly from balls that ran along the ground, making it almost impossible for Hugh Selby) which was a little disappointing. After 24 overs, Souths were 4-46, with James Ellison and Tim Roarty also bowling well. James took 2 wickets and kept an excellent line while Tim beat the bat continually. After drinks, two more wickets fell and the possible score of about 130-140 moved further and further away. Sam Ranney bowled without luck, but, despite some handy slogs, Souths were dismissed in the 41st over for 91 ' not exactly par but something that would be no pushover.

Cam Crawford and Mayur Kulkarni opened the batting with alacrity. At the end of the first over, Mayur and Hugh Selby had been dismissed and there was a general scrambling for pads as 91 became 150. Cam, who batted well under the circumstances, stuck around for a number of overs but just as he seemed to be getting on top, he was well caught behind. Harry Turner showed an excellent temperament and with Tim Roarty filling in for the day, the two of them added 30 runs before Harry was bowled attempting a drive. Tim and Rod McDonald then added another 20 or so quickly which was important, as Souths would have felt that they were almost on top.

The Roarty dismissal, which will be commented on later meant there were still 28 to win. Rod and James Ellison got most of them through some intelligent batting and, although they were both dismissed, there was little to do for the following batsmen. Rod's innings of 24 was very similar to what he did last year at the same ground to help win the game. He may be one of very few batsmen who have mastered this wicket.

Stumped for words... athletic Ellison!!

So, another win for the Colts in difficult circumstances and a really good experience for some of the younger players who would not have played on a wicket like this one. As well, a good indication of the depth of young players in the Club as there were seven changes from the team of the previous week. And a two bonus points win was secured in the 25th over.

Some points of interest:

1. James Ellison bowled the lowest (in height, not unpleasantness) ball in the history of cricket to knock over one young batsman who was fighting very hard to survive. After it landed it actually had some the shine rubbed off it on the way to the off stump. No-one would have hit it!

2. Tim Roarty's dismissal. Tim tried to pull a ball from a medium pacer which did not get up quite as high as he expected. In a mixture of bat, glove, body and pad, the ball ballooned up in the air. In Tim's own words, in the corner of his eye he saw what he thought was the ball and immediately took measures to keep it away from the stumps. This was a very sound ploy except what he'd seen was the shadow of the ball! He managed to knock the shadow well away from the stumps. However, the ball itself lazily bounced once and nudged the off stump. Unlucky!

An 'interesting' day's cricket.

Mick Falk

Colts Report vs Penrith - Round 9

Colts Report vs Penrith - Round 9

An outright victory over last year's finalists

The past two weekends have seen the Colts side play Penrith for the 5th time in the past two seasons. Whilst last year's final saw the Colts amass 450 odd runs to secure the premiership, this game saw a 5th consecutive win over the boys from the far west and 10 points to put the Colts 11 points clear on their table.

Marvell destroying the opposition bowling

Millar, who practiced his coin tossing skills over the summer break, lost his 7th toss from 9 attempts this season. Much to his delight, and surprise, the Penrith skipper chose to subject his boys to the 35+ degree heat by choosing to field first.

Without a second opening batsman, Millar went back to the sheds to get his whites on and head out to the middle to take guard. Alas, no whites. A quick trip home (something that can't happen if Colts move to Killara) to obtain the whites and a couple of cheeky throwdowns saw Millar and Kulkarni open the batting for the Colts.

When Kulkarni was dismissed for a well made 38 and with the score at 60, the platform had been set for another big score for the Colts side. 'Two Dads' Russell-Jones came to the middle and, with the opportunity to bat for a long time, made the most of the opposition wilting in the sun to compile a solid innings.

Millar was dismissed for 74 and Marvell took up the fight with Two-Dads, belting ball to all corners of the ground. If he removed the open-faced glide through 1st/2nd slip which gets him in a bit of trouble, it will not be long before he will post his first hundred for the club. It would be great to have this man in the Colts side for the finals, although with his skills, he may be needed up the grades.

Two-Dads was dismissed for 44 and Marvel for 78 but with Skinner at the middle punishing the wayward bowling, the Colts were 4/300 before Skinner (43), Ellison (3) and Wigham (14) were all dismissed trying to lift the run rate. Millar declared at 7/311 telling an eager Lappan that he would be of more use with the ball than the bat. Turner was left in the middle after making 1*.

Eight overs were left to try and pick up a couple of Penrith wickets. With Lappan the more senior bowler, Reed was left to earn his strips bowling up into a breeze that miraculously seemed to pick up as the Colts entered the field. 2 wickets to Reed and 1 to Lappan saw the Penrith side finish the first day at 3/8 from the 8 overs. The Colts were in a strong position.

Immaculate pitch work by Millar and Lappan

With the wind swinging around to the other end, Lappan wanted to change ends at the start of the second day. How could his captain refuse? This gave Charlie 'Duck' Turner the chance to bowl an over so the bowlers could swap ends. He made the most of this opportunity taking a key wicket in the first over of the day. Needless to say, he received a couple more overs before the gale-force wind got the better of him.

With the wind behind Lappan, the ball was being delivered with some serious heat and he was often too good for the batsmen to get an edge. Reed took a third wicket to have figures of 3/7 from 8 overs. However, with the wind ever increasing, Ranney was put on from the north end to bowl into the gale.

Skinner picked up a couple of good wickets with a long spell with the breeze at his back and Gordon had the Penrith side on the ropes. With a couple of full tosses from Ranney ' obviously a plan all along ' that were bunted to mid off and mid on, the Penrith side was dismissed for a touch over 100 with 41 overs left in the day.

At this point it should be mentioned that it was in fact Marvell that made the full toss a wicket taking ball in Colts ' Ranney does not want the credit. It should also be noted that Russell-Jones has been dismissed in his last 4 innings by mishitting (or even missing) full tosses.

Tea was taken and Millar sent their boys back in with a promise to assess the situation after 20 overs.

Snr should consult Lappan and Millar for help

Turner and Ellison were given the new ball and Turner made the most of his opportunity picking up one of the danger men to a terrific catch by Two-Dads. Ellison was troubled by no-balls and full tosses and was soon replaced by Ranney who again picked up a couple of wickets to end up with 5 for the match. Luckily for Ranney he only has to take a couple of steps to deliver the ball because he was chafing so badly he had the gait of a cowboy when he walked.

Reed was given an opportunity to bowl with the breeze at his back but was unfortunately nowhere near as effective as when he was bowling into it. His first innings effort really set up the match for the Colts and it was a shame it didn't continue in the second.

However, it wasn't helped by Two-Dads showing that he was human when he dropped two catches in two balls straight after the drinks break. After taking a screamer off Turner earlier on, he asked his captain if their was a spot on the field with a hole deep enough for him to hide. Unfortunately, the outfield at Beauchamp is in top condition and he was left to cop the ridicule of his 'mates'. He has now gone to Fiji or somewhere for 3 weeks. This may or may not be related.

Lappan replaced Reed and struck immediately by removing the stalwart opening batsmen then removing the off-stump of the next man in. Although he claims he hates hitting people half his age, he managed to unsettle the No. 11 batsman when hitting him flush on the shoulder. This is not an isolated incident. There are many cases of 'Pale-Ale' Lappan replicating the feats of the slightly more tanned West Indian bowlers of the 80's. The batsmen he is hitting weren't even alive in the 80's!

"Pale Ale" Lappan excited about the win

Marvell got a few overs into the breeze and took two vital wickets to finish off the match and the Colts collected the full ten points with 5 overs to spare.

A great performance by the top 5 batsmen (none of whom got less than 38) followed by a dominating performance by the bowlers, which was supported by the fielders, has given the Colts a commanding lead on the table.


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs Hawksbury - Round 8

Colts Report vs Hawksbury - Round 8

Colts extend lead at top with outright victory

A ten point win to consolidate top spot on the table was exactly what the Colts were hoping to find in their Christmas stocking over the festive break and, with another 'new look' side out on the park, that is exactly what the side achieved.

Perhaps the captains should get together at training and practice coin flipping, but from all the reports ' from 1st Grade right through to Green Shield ' it seems that no-one can buy a correct call. This said, it was a good toss to lose as Beauchamp as there was an even cover of grass on the wicket.

Last choice 'fast' bowler Millar in the 2nd innings

With the stocks of fast bowlers boosted by the year 12 leavers, the Colts side had Will Reed, Charlie 'Duck' Turner and James Campbell to throw at the opposition. Include the stalwarts of Skinner, Clifford, Ellison and Millar and the side was looking like a formidable bowling attack. Jason 'Two Dads' Russell-Jones, Hugh 'Gloveman' Selby and 'John' Mayur Kulkarni were all there to back up the others if needed.

It wasn't.

Hawkesbury have the highest batting aggregate of any team in the Metropolitan Cup and our boys set out to make sure they weren't going to significantly add to that total. Clifford and Reed were handed the new rock and at the drinks break the Hawks were struggling at 3/22 from 20 overs. James Campbell, bowling left arm in-swingers, snared a couple of good poles and Ian 'Bones' Skinner took two as well but the story of the 1st day was the brilliant performance of Tim Clifford (a.k.a. the big red dog) whose figures were 12 overs, 7 maidens, 5 for 5. The webmaster was glowing with pride after his suggestions paid dividends and the captain was glowing having the Hawks dismissed for 56 in 40 odd overs.

Although Millar was given a promotion by the selectors during the week (due to the apparent bias towards the bowling this round), he thought better of strapping on the pads and followed in Tweety's footsteps by taking the first stint as an umpire whilst Angus Sinclair and 'John' Mayur took guard. With a small total to chase it was imperative that the runs were knocked off quickly and 1st innings point were recorded on the first day.

After a few enthusiastic shouts from the Hawks for catches down leg side ' coming firstly from pad and then a second 'catch' off the chest ' it was unfortunate that the umpire was subjected to abuse from the opposition (mainly from the senior members of the side, including a father of one of the players acting as a substitute fielder) especially as the decisions were the correct ones. So, happily, Millar relinquished his appointment as umpire and watched from the stands after the drinks break. All players should keep in mind that 5 or 6 close shouts do not mean that the next one has to be given out. It doesn't.

Nevertheless, Sinclair was unlucky to fall to a sharp catch at gully for 12 and 'John' was dismissed for 47 after we had passed their total. Selby and 'Two Dads' forged a great partnership which included clever stroke play and lusty hitting before succumbing to the Hawks a couple of overs before the end of the day. 'Bones' and Ellison were left at the middle to see out the day and then attack from the word 'GO' next week.

Selby and Skinner watch as Millar takes cover from another Campbell short delivery

'GO'. Skinner demolished the bowling in the second week blasting 50-odd from only a few deliveries to see the Colts post 206. Ellison contributed with a handy total and with 'Duck' (0), Clifford (0), Reed (0) and Millar 5*, it was time to get some 'red ink' and declare the innings closed.

Clifford and Reed opened the attack, with the objective of dismissing the Hawks for under 140 in 65 overs to gain maximum points. Reed picked up his maiden club wickets with a sharp catch to Sinclair at point and a solid catch to Ellison in the gully.

It would be the perfect moment to recall the disastrous trip the No. 3 batsmen from Hawkesbury had over the two weekends. After being dismissed for a third ball duck in the first dig, he again returned to the pavilion without a run against his name in the second dig. However, he did last long enough to cop a searing, well-directed, short ball from Clifford square on the forearm after he failed to get out of the way. A long trip back to Hawkesbury would have resulted.

With the wind howling from the south, Skinner exerted his seniority and chose to bowl with the wind. Success followed soon with the gritty opener fending a short ball to Millar in close at short leg.

This left Campbell to come into the wind. With the wind posing a potential problem to his in-swingers, he informed his captain that he was going to bowl left arm off-spin. After setting his field, Millar informed him that 3 players behind point was a 'less than ideal' option and that he should have at least a cover point.

Bowling to his field, Campbell's first ball was short and wide and smashed to Sinclair at cover point, who took a brilliant catch to leave the Hawks 4-down. To make a mends for the first delivery, the next was full and down leg. On average they were two good balls. Like all bowlers (generally of the lawn bowls variety) the length and line were corrected for the third ball and it beat the batsman's defences to leave the Hawks floundering at 5 for not too many.

Clifford takes 5/5 in 12 overs

Millar bowled the over before the long break and was certain that he picked up the wicket of one of their danger batsmen with a good edge through to the 'Gloveman'. However, the strong appeal was turned down and the batsman was left with a massive grin from ear-to-ear as he went to tea.

That was soon wiped from his face as Campbell dismissed him shortly after tea and then picked up his forth for the innings. Clifford dismissed the captain with his first ball of his second spell. A catch to Millar at mid-off in which he delighted in. For hours.

The Hawks were 8-down and 20 overs left in the day. The next pair stuck around for a while and it wasn't until Ellison was handed the ball for the first time in the match (a credit to the strength of the rest of the bowling attack who consistently bowled tight lines) that the final two wickets fell and the Colts picked up maximum points.

Beauchamp Oval is a dream to belt out a rendition of the song and with 10 points on the board, the new boys received a great introduction into life at the Gordon club.

At the Greengate after the match, with all teams celebrating a very successful weekend, Will Reed commented (after his 4th or 5th jug) that 'We should win all the grades each round'.

With the generous donations of Messer Falk and Wilson, I can clearly see his point.

Congratulations to the grade sides who sit 5th on the club championship.


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs Sydney Uni - Round 7

Colts Report vs Sydney Uni - Round 7

Gordon wins top of table clash

Father Christmas came early this year with a get out of jail free card for the Colts side after just scraping home in a thrilling finish against the second placed Sydney University. After finally winning a toss, Millar sent Uni in to bat on a deck that appeared to have some life in it and an outfield that had just recently been top dressed.

Lappan - 11 overs, 6 maidens, 0/9

The deck was dead. No movement. No bounce. No life. A mistake? Perhaps. It would be hard work for the bowlers. However, with the outfield very heavy and the batsmen having to make the pace, it would not be easy for the batsmen either.

'Pale Ale' Lappan and Ian 'Bones' Skinner were given the new ball to do damage with. Both bowled great lines but suffered due to the lack of any assistance from the deck. The batsmen couldn't get the ball off the square and when Ellison took the first wicket - a great diving catch to Cam Crawford at square leg - the score was 1/28 from 20 overs. It was boring, grinding cricket and the Colts would be in for a challenge.

Will 'I rival Fragogianas for an impossible last name' Sierakowski, was thrown the ball after the captain, knowing little of his youngest and newest member of the Colts side, asked the opening batsmen if he could also roll his arm over. This move - which the captain will maintain was an 'inspired' move - paid dividends with Will removing the opening batsmen and the number 4 within the space of a handful of deliveries.

Ranney, whose custom is to arrive within 60 seconds of the players taking the field, came on and struck early and often. 4 wickets, mostly LBW, came at crucial times throughout the first day. A brilliant spell of bowling was only outshone by a marvellous diving catch to 'Bones' Skinner at 1st grip. Hickman, sitting on the sideline, was astounded by the big man's nimbleness. He then backed it up with a crucial wicket and having Uni having only 90-odd on the board with only one wicket in hand.

Sierakowski playing Uni in last year's Green Shield team

A couple of missed opportunities and some lusty hitting saw Uni get to 136 when Millar finally picked up the final wicket - caught and bowled. A score similar to the previous year, but with many more overs to chase down the target, the Colts were confident of victory.

With only 18 overs left in the day, Millar stressed the need to have wickets in hand the following week to chase down the small total. Angus Sinclair and Will Siera... opened the batting and took the score to 31 before Sinclair was adjudged LBW for 7 and then Cam Crawford was dismissed next ball.

"John" Mayur Kulkarni was next in and with only 5 overs left in the day he was instructed by his captain to be there at the end of the day. A couple of very loose shots saw him lose his wicket with an over left to play and, needless to say, saw an unimpressed captain having to send in the No. 5 batsmen in with only 47 on the board and 6 balls to play.

Russell-Jones, knowing that Marvell would be taking his spot the second week, played a straight bat to everything sent his way and ensured that Gordon would be only 3-down at the end of the day.

3/47 chasing 136. 90 runs to get. 7 wickets in hand. 1st vs 2nd. An interesting second day was sure to ensure.


Day 2 saw the top dressing give way to some excessively long grass and the pitch still had little life in it. During the warm-up, the captain stressed that it would be critical that all players got onto the front stool and remove any chance of balls trapping them in front. Nothing would get up high enough to cause them any trouble and each of the 90 runs would be like gold.

It was Will Sierakowski to fall first, playing all around his front pad and having his leg stump removed. It wasn't long after that Marvell was trapped dead in front of all three sticks playing back to a ball that never ever looked like getting up above ankle hight. 5/85. 5 wickets. 52 left to get.

Frago, Skinner and Millar all fell to a combination of tight bowling and trying to force the pace. Frago, playing back, was unlucky to be trapped in front for 1. Skinner, also playing back, was cleaned up for 9. Millar, getting down the pitch, gave a return catch to the bowler for a meager 1 run.

8/110. 27 runs would do it and ensure the Colts would go into Christmas on top of the table.

Selby, who had been put down twice whilst going for runs, was instructed to be there at the end by his captain. After greatly help win the Penrith match a few weeks before, Selby had become the rock in the middle order of the Colts team and he needed to stand up again this week.

A huge performance from Selby got the Colts over the line

Lappan, who was given instructions from his departing captain on the way out to the middle, knew it was his time to dig deep and play a solid innings for his club. With the words "Get on the front foot... Play forward... Get forward... Play straight" ringing in his ears, he knew what he had to do.

Although the Colts team is not part of the Grade Comp, the boys are proud of their winning record this season. With a trophey in the cabinet from last year's premiership, the boys are determined to recreate that winning feeling week-in week-out. They know how to dig themselves out of a hole and that is exactly what Selby and Lappan did.

A combination of patient play and the ability to put away the loose ball, often via an aerial route, Selby single-handedly put on the next 26 runs to take the score to 8/136. The scores were level and Lappan, who had faced 40-odd balls without scoring a run, stole the limelight from Selby by scoring his one and one run for the game. The winning run.

Selby 38* and Lappan 1* (46 balls) saw the Gordon boys home with Ranney sitting in the dressing room assuring his captain he too could do the job for the side.

The song was sung with gusto and the 6 points kept the Gordon boys on top of the table in the lead up to Christmas. Congratulations boys. A job well done.


Dave Millar

Colts Round 6 Report vs UTS - Balmain

Colts Round 6 Report vs UTS - Balmain

Colts frolic despite their age

Youthful would not have been the term to describe the Colts composition for the game against UTS-Balmain. Experienced would have been kind. Old may have been more accurate.

With the club a few players short due to injuries, schoolies and weddings, the Colts gladly welcomed Dave Storey and Matt Selby out of retirement to showcase their experience against one of the cellar-dwellers of the Metropolitan Cup. Michael Falk was also amongst the line-up ' just happy that he wasn't making another one of 'those' trips to Sutherland to which the Stobo Salute glowing referred.

With the former captain of 5th Grade in the side, Millar was hoping for some advice regarding the coin toss. Storey was of little use. 'Tails never fails, blah blah blah'. Well' it hasn't failed for the opposition all year.

The Colts were sent in to bat on a slow track and an even slower outfield. There were patches of grass so long that tickled the calves of the players during the warm-up. There was no fielding soccer ' more a gentle easing into physical activity for some of the players.

Falk and Matt Selby ease gently into the game

Russell-Jones accompanied Sajdeh out into the centre but departed at the end of the first over after he played all around a full toss to be dismissed for 2. Doug 'The Pizza Boy' Harris, who yet again was suffering from poorly cooked prawns, was seeing two or three balls out in the centre, but not getting firm contact on any of them. Millar, from his position as umpire, continued to remind Harris of the handful of centuries he has seen during his time at the club from batsmen who, too, had eaten a few bad prawns the night before.

Sajdeh, probably feeling a little bewildered by his estrangement from long term batting partner, Richie 'Sticks' Kenner, put his head down, got his feet moving and set the Colts up for a big score. The partnership between Harris and Sajdeh was broken when Sajdeh was adjudged LBW for 48.

Selby, younger, didn't last long and was dismissed for a fluent 11 when he hit a return catch to the bowler. Hugh has looked in good form the past couple of knocks and his skills will be invaluable this coming week against Sydney Uni.

Selby, older, blasted a few balls to the ground's extremities before missing a straight one and was cleaned up for 15 in his return to the batting crease. Passing Millar on the way back to the pavilion he provided the useful insight that he 'seemed to have missed that one - sorry skipper.' 4/170

Hugh Selby - an integral part of the Colts successes

Millar and Harris combined, with Millar still in Harris' ear about the possibility of his first century for the Gordon club. Unfortunately he was caught directly in front of the sticks for a very well played 92.

Falk joined Millar and began to build on the 190 runs already amassed. However, with the light fading and the clouds encroaching, the run rate needed to be lifted. Millar tried one too many big shots and was well caught for 25. Falk was left on 24* overnight as the rain began to fall. It was 6:20pm and the Tigers had only managed to bowl 70 overs throughout the day. Too many needless underarms at the stumps ' almost ever ball ' and generally very sluggish between overs meant that the game continued to drag on and on. Hopefully this wouldn't hurt the Colts on Day 2.

The second day began badly. Sajdeh's mate, Aran, who had kindly offered to fill in for us, failed to show and it was left to Millar to find a replacement at the last minute. Mr Millar immediately sprung to mind, and with a Gordon shirt, whites and shoes, he combined perfectly with Falk and Storey to boost the 'experience' of the Colts side.

Although the rest of the ground seemed bone dry, the covers had left a wet spot on a good length. After a quick discussion with the UTS-Balmain boys, it was decided that the match would go ahead as planned and, with Falk on 24* and Aran 'John Sawtell' Nagandra 0*, Millar declared with the score at 6/245.

Storey, who didn't get an opportunity to wield the willow the previous week, asked Sajdeh for advice from which end to bowl. Sajdeh confidently replied that he thought the ball was definitely doing more in the air from the south end' Storey, amused and slightly bewildered at Sajdeh's response, chose the north end from which to 'charge' in. Millar allowed this as there was a significant gale coming from the north and Storey was looking for all the assistance he could find.

Tom Millar - It was a long day for the body!

Clifford, who arrived just moments before the game after changing yet another one of Sam Ranney's 'flat tires', was forced to work uphill into the gale.

Well' what does one write about the performance of Storey? I'm sure that the like of Packman or Tiddles would have already heard about the 'massive amounts of movement [he was] getting in the air and off the deck' (quote: Storey ' like Medcalf, I too choose to acknowledge my sources). Whilst it would be hard to argue this point, for he was consistently beating the bat, the lack of pace was a noticeable talking point amongst the 8 players he had positioned behind point 'for the edge'.

Falk was cutting a lonely figure at deep mid-on ' placed there by Storey for the miscued drive.

It was Clifford that struck first, then Storey chimed in with a couple, Ranney came on and bowled an impressive spell which drew three wickets from the Tigers including a spectacular catch in his follow through. Always a team player, Ranney stuck to a line outside off stump to ensure that any balls hit in the air would find their way into the safe hands of those players he had included in his fantasy team. The plan paid off with Clifford taking catches as well.

Millar picked up a couple of wickets, including a good catch at second slip to Sajdeh, whose regular position at mid-off/on was filled by Millar Snr and Falk, and then Clifford cleaned up the tail.

The Tigers were dismissed for 92 in 30 odd overs leaving the Colts a distinct chance of an outright victory.

Over the tea break Storey took a quick nap, after his 8 overs in the first innings, and Millar Snr attempted to keep warm after chasing nearly every ball throughout the afternoon. The ball just seemed to follow him around the park. He was going to be sore the next day.

Dave Storey recharges the batteries between innings

The second dig saw Clifford grab an LBW decision with his first delivery, Storey pick up 3 good wickets and Millar grab a good catch from his own bowling to leave the Tigers at 5/17 with plenty of overs remaining. Unfortunately for the Colts, Storey began to seize up and despite the wind assistance keeping his pace above that of a gentle spinner, the body couldn't handle having a couple more overs squeezed out of it. He retired to fine leg after picking up a total of 6 top order wickets for the Colts. A fine comeback and very much appreciated.

Ranney, who bowled so well in the first dig, copped a hiding from the only UTS-Balmain batsmen to show any fight and ended with 55 runs being taken from his 6 overs. He was replaced by Russell-Jones and, after Clifford had rearranged the woodwork on another 3 subsequent occasions to end up with 7 poles for the match, Falk was given his first opportunity with the ball.

It only took about 10 balls for Falk to complete the outright victory. The last batsman was bowled, stumps were drawn and the Colts had found their place on top of the Metro Cup table after 6 Rounds.


Dave Millar

Note: Tom Millar pulled up pretty well on the Sunday' How about Storey??

Colts Victory Over Penrith

Colts Victory Over Penrith

Colts wrap up another solid win

With 1st innings points under the belt and a desire to watch the English crumble to a 1st test loss, the Colts resumed their day at 6/159 with a lead of 11 on the board. The Rance Oval wicket was a lush green colour. In the middle of a drought! The Colts have solved Sydney's water problem. Stop flood irrigating Rance.

A quick check of the Sunday paper confirmed our suspicions. The Penrith 5th grade side had been bowling the previous day and had skittled their opposition for very few.

(Tweety lifts the trophy after a victory against Penrith last year - this round Tweety was away on Schoolies)

Selby and Millar strode to the crease after a warm-up game of football in which the non-hat side won 3-1. It didn't take long for the runs to begin to flow with Selby immediately finding the form that delivered the 1st innings victory last week. In the second over of the day he brought up his 50 and then, after Millar was cleaned up, proceeded to butcher the attack with clever, powerful stroke play.

Dan Lake, like Jono Wigham the previous week, set about showing why the future of the club is in good hands. Both boys excelled in their first game for the Gordon seniors. Dan set upon anything short and the highlight of his innings was consecutive pull shots off the front foot that rocketed past mid wicket for 4.

After drinks were taken, Lake fell to a full toss ' caught at mid on ' and then Lappan to a rank long hop shortly after.

Ranney, who had only just arrived after <insert any number of his stories about poker, alcohol, next door, Crowie Howie, etc>, had just enough time to strap on the pads and leave his first delivery before Selby (a masterful 70) fell to another full toss to see the Colts dismissed for 230.

With the Ashes beckoning and no reasonable chance of any further result, the captains decided that it was best to pull up the stumps and return the whinging Poms back to Bondi where they could drown their sorrows of the dismal display of their fellow countrymen in the 1st test.

Victory over last year's Grand Finalists.


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs Penrith

Colts Report vs Penrith

How To' Strike Concern In Your Captain

The Colts made the trip out to Penrith to face the team they defeated in the Grand Final last year. Both teams were depleted of regular players and had to look far and wide in order to get 11 on the paddock. Needless to say, the quality of the Gordon juniors who were called upon was top class and they all contributed well throughout the day.

(Tim Fragogiannis in action)

After most players negotiated the RBT just off the M4 (and thankfully Ranney was instructed to take an alternate route), the warm up consisted mainly of observations by the Poms of just how far away from the motherland (Bondi Beach) they were.

Millar lost the toss' again' but maintained that he would have sent them in anyway.

Lappan struck early. 3 times. However, the Penrith side adjudged that a catch to gully wasn't out, nor one to a diving Selby in front of 1st slip. Ironically it was an LBW that was cause for the Colts first celebration of the afternoon. Frago bowled well but without luck before age restrictions resulted in Dan Lake being called upon for 1st change duties. He didn't disappoint his captain, taking a wicket with his 2nd delivery.

Millar took what can only be described as a bizarre wicket with his first ball after a huge shout for LBW. The batsman was sure that he had hit the ball into his foot and loudly vocalised his opinion. The Penrith umpire adjudged this to be the case and in doing so was then forced to give the batsman out as the ball had ballooned off the batsman's foot into the 'safe' hands of Sam Ranney. Only in Colts.

(Andrew Lappan in action)

In order to recreate last year's atmosphere, the Penrith side had decided to bolster its middle order with some of the senior grade players (not Clary Dent... but those in Colts last year will get the picture) who had been successful with the willow the previous day.

It took a while for the next break through, but ManChild picked up the captain and his batting partner in the space of a few deliveries to swing the game back in Gordon's favour. After their departure, wickets began to fall at regular intervals and the Penrith side was dismissed for 147. Ranney, Frago and Millar shared in the spoils.

35 overs were left in the day to secure first innings points and without any recognised opening batsmen, ManChild and one of Rod's Poms took up the challenge. Unfortunately, Ben fell to a well struck, but misguided, lofted drive through the covers. Marvz joined JRJ out at the crease but neither were able to get on top of the bowling; both falling to their captain and opening bowler.

When 'Tom the Pom' Stretton, coming off the back of a solid 78 to secure victory against UNSW last week, and Frago fell cheaply, the Colts looked to be in trouble at 5/60 and the captain gave instructions to Selby and the young gun Jono 'I've gone through 6 growth spurts and I'm only 14' Wigham to be there at the end of the day.

A platform was built and the ball began to find the boundary with regularity. Both batsmen saw off the senior grade spinner who had picked up 5 wickets the previous day. A highlight was Selby getting down on one knee and putting him well over the deep backward square fence for a maximum score. In fact, the smoke coming from Wigham and Selby's bats was only matched by a group of guys doing burnouts behind the local bottle-o.

With 55 runs to get from 8 overs to secure the points before the day's end, Wigham began to pump the ball to all corners of the ground, showing skill and power well beyond his years. Combined with Selby, they reduced the target to just 4 runs from 8 balls before the fun and games started. They were cruising to victory for convincingly than the cops on constant patrol around Rance.

Wigham, trying to secure the points with one clean hit, was cleaned up by the Penrith captain and began to walk off the ground. Millar left his seat to join Selby out in the middle, only to be informed that it was a no-ball and that Wigham could return to the middle. Millar added one run to the score and sat down again.

Wigham, trying to secure the points with one clean hit, was cleaned up by the Penrith captain and began to walk off the ground. That's right. D'j' Vu! This time there was no infringement by the bowler's front foot and Wigham was on his way.

Millar, hoping to see off the last ball of the over and give Selby the strike in the final over, blocked the ball to gully but was called through for a run. Despite being over half a pitch short, Millar survived due to an errant throw.

A couple of byes saw the anti-climatic end of an enthralling run chase and the first innings points for the Colts through some top class batting by Wigham and Selby.

Whilst the trip out to Penrith this coming Sunday will conflict with the desire to be supporting the Australians reclaim the Ashes, it is comforting to know that the bottle-o across the road from Rance is open well before the bakery and supermarket.

With first innings points under the belt and a few lower order wickets in hand, it will be a good opportunity to get in some batting practice and enjoy a solid bit of Pommy bashing. (in good fun of course)


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs UNSW

Colts Report vs UNSW

Colts Report vs UNSW

With University exams and a spate of injuries within the club, the Colts were looking a little undermanned and a couple of Rocket's pommy mates and the ever faithful Rod MacDonald were called upon to fill in for the weekend. This wouldn't stop Macca from enjoying his Friday night, messaging Millar at 4am to confirm a lift to the ground in just a few hours time.

(James Ellison in action)

The toss was lost, almost a formality these days, and the UNSW captain chose to don the pads and have first use of a great looking batting track. After a warm-up that involved more introductions than actual physical activity (much to Macca's delight), the Colts took the field with Clifford and Skins sharing the new rock.

Skins bowled an inspired first spell conceding only a handful of runs in his first 5 overs and picking up the important wicket of the UNSW captain. It was a display that wouldn't have been out of place in 3rd grade and set the Colts towards victory.

Clifford unfortunately struggled to find his rhythm and was replaced by Ellison after a few overs. Now a high school graduate, Ellison bowled tight consistent lines that troubled the New South bats and, in partnership with Ranney, kept a lid on the run rate.

Ranney looked a little rusty - delivering 6 full tosses in the first over ' but confused the New South batsman into playing all 6 gently to cover. After that he found his length and restricted them to only 20 runs from his full allotment. It was a great spell and was unlucky not to be awarded a bagful of LBW's by the UNSW umpired.

(Skipper Dave Millar in action)

After Ellison exhausted his age restricted overs, JRJ was thrown the pill and continued to starve the New South batsmen of runs on a top quality batting strip.

The problem came towards the end of the innings with 12 overs that needed to be found. Clifford was expensive early and Millar was dispatched to the fence on numerous occasions before Skinner had taken a marvellous catch running around from mid-off to take a one handed specky at mid-on (who knows what Ranney was doing at mid-on, but he was nowhere to be found). Unfortunately, Skins pulled a quadricep in the process and was unable to back up his first spell. Hence the dilemma.

Millar took one end and kept it fairly quiet ' even bowling a maiden in the 50th over ' and Clifford took the other before being replaced by Ellison for his final two. A few loose deliveries saw the New South batsmen creep over 200 and a few dropped catches and a handful of missed run outs meant that UNSW posted a score of 6/233 - well past what we should have got them for.

It was going to be a hard chase and the Gordon batsmen needed to get off to a good start ' Weaves didn't let the captain down.

In true Weaves fashion he chanced his luck and played a well constructed one-day innings. A couple of cheap early wickets fell - Ben 'Rocket's mate' Linfield bowled for 6 and JRJ caught playing at a wide delivery for 14 ' before Tom 'The Pom' Stretton settled into his innings and began to dominate the bowling.

(Jason Russell Jones in action)

The pitch remained true and the two men continued to pile on the runs and frustrate the New South bowlers as they consistently found gaps in the field. Weaves (92) was unselfishly dismissed trying to secure a bonus point and Stretton (78) fell a couple of runs short of the target which left Selby to get the Colts across the line with 6 overs to spare.

The only thing to tarnish the day was the way in which the UNSW captain failed to really congratulate our boys after a comprehensive victory by all 11 players.

It was a real team effort. Everyone stood up to be counted. It was a dominant display that will hopefully be repeated this week against the grand finalists from last year.

With the news that all of the other 5 grade sides had defeated Wests, the song was heartily sung and the boys retired to the Greengate to celebrate in style.

Congratulations to all those involved in such a successful weekend and thanks to Tiddles and others for the generous bar tab that assisted all those in enjoying their Saturday evening. Let's hope this weekend brings much of the same!


Dave Millar

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham

Colts Report vs Randwick-Petersham

How To' Comprehensively Destroy Randwick-Petersham

Pic complained that my article last week was too long. I understand. He finds it difficult to read.

So this week I will keep it short. Just for Pic.

We won.

1/196 chasing 186.

Weaver made 109* and Marvz backed up his four wickets with 58*. Legge, the only wicket to fall, made 21 good looking runs before being trapped LBW. In a Colts game.

It was a great win and the boys have consolidated their position on the ladder at this early point in the season.

Oh, and Pic, the grass needed mowing.


Now, for all those who are still with me here is the rest of the report.

The day started terribly. Beauchamp, like Killara, is a dog walker's paradise. Apart from all the unnecessary time it takes to clean up after them, and ensure another Sydney Uni/Greg Matthews debacle doesn't occur, sometimes you wonder if the dog has more brains than their owner.

Sometimes you don't even need to wonder.

(Tim Fragogiannis at Beauchamp)

Some bloke decided that he should padlock the large gate shut so that his dog wouldn't escape. Top bloke he was.

Then his wife had a go at me because I had left the small gate open whilst taking out the stumps to the ground. Then the dirty big mutt chased balls thrown across the pitch (I'm not talking about the wife' although she could have done with a collar as well). Hardly the dog's fault, but the owners need to be put down.

A quick trip home to get an oversized pair of bolt cutters (don't ask why I own them' I just do) and we were finally able to get the trolley off the ground and the game underway.

Legge looked solid and scored freely until being fired by Selby (another LBW in Colts). Weaver, up the other end, had put away a couple of his 'get out' shots and was punishing the ball to all areas of the park. It was a big turn around from the previous match.

To be honest, the rest of the match passed by very quickly. There were three things to note.

1) Skins is a good team player: a trip to the chicken shop saw more chips and dips and sauces than was good for the cardiovascular systems of all the Colts batsmen. Thoroughly enjoyed by all. Thanks mate.

2) Marvz is a classy bat: he dispatched balls to all parts of the ground will little effort and was a great calming influence on Weaver.

3) Weaver is a wealth of strange knowledge: after coming off the ground with his first century at Gordon and a second Colts win for the season, Weaver let the boys in on a night out on the town with Pic (I'm sure he has stopped reading by this point anyhow). The story involves a large amount of booze, women and a none-too-sober Pic at the start of play on a Saturday morning. And a subsequent tribunal hearing after the Gordon team narrowly lost. Weaver is a vault of information' with the door slightly ajar.

Well done Colts on a fantastic thrashing of Randy-Petes. A great one to get under the belt. Congratulations Weaver, well batted mate. A much improved performance with the willow.

Again I must stress, winning at Beauchamp and belting out that song so close to the opposition is an awesome feeling.


Dave Millar

P.S. Thanks to Knight and Tiddles whom helped with covers on the Friday night. It was much appreciate
Colts Report Round 1 vs Hawkesbury

Colts Report Round 1 vs Hawkesbury

How To' Get Your Season Of To The Right Start

Welcome to this season's collection of How To's from the Colts side 2006/07 ' Defending Premiers.

A new look side from last year has brought together talents from a net cast far and wide. A team every bit as talented as the previous year and a team that will be hunted by all others. Fresh from a commanding lead in the fantasy league and with a few hours of captaincy experience whilst Tweety was off the field during last year's tilt at the premiership, Millar led his side to a comprehensive victory over Hawkesbury, gaining a bonus point in the process.

(James Ellison is bolwed at Beauchamp)

Step 1:

After winning the toss, Legge took advantage of a batting strip that resembled the F3 he had driven down earlier. However, after waiting patiently whilst the opening bowler from Hawkesbury bowled wide after no-ball, Legge (9) succumbed to the lack of pace, caught the leading edge and floated a catch back to the bowler. Weaver at the other end looked comfortable but lacked timing and placement before being adjudged LBW for 29 just after drinks.

It was Brett 'Marvz' Marvell and Doug 'The Pizza Boy' Harris that set about making the most of the fruit delivered by the Hawks' spinners. They took the score from 2/77 to 195 with some stylish straight drives and some well judged lusty blows which sent the Hawks to all corners of the park to retrieve the ball. Both of these blokes are recent additions to the club and look to have a real future in the higher grades. The Pizza Boy (61) and Marvz (76) fell in quick succession bringing Tim 'Frago' Fragogianas and Millar to the crease. Both set upon the bowlers and lifted the run rate in the final ten overs, with a target of well over 260 in their sights.

(Tim Fragogiannis and James Ellison)

Millar foolishly thought all that beach running with the Moth during the off season had made him quicker between wickets and was run out taking a second that was never on. After making 16 from 7 balls, he was left to ponder if it was the Curly's breakfasts that were his undoing. Ellison (9) was next in and after getting onto a couple was cleaned up, giving the webmaster his first action photograph of the woodwork being rearranged this season.

Lappan was next in and quickly followed Ellison back to the pavilion after being fired for 0. 3 LBWs in the first game of the season!! Tweety would have been pulling his hair out at the thought of his old team giving out their own players 'leg before'. Its ok Tweety, they were all were VERY adjacent. Your mentoring and sentiments will be held in high regard by all those in the Colts.

Frago (34*) was joined by Ranney (3*) and they saw the score to 7/279 at the end of the 50 overs. An above average score on Beauchamp, but the bowlers were going to have to keep a tidy line after the Hawks gave over 40 sundries and an extra 5 overs during the Colts innings.

Step 2:

Lappan and Skinner opened the bowling after the break and both immediately applied the pressure. Lappan (0/44 from 10) had a couple of close shouts and at the end of his first spell had contained the Hawks openers and placed them in a difficult position to maintain the fast climbing required run rate. Ian 'Skinny' Skinner had a solid first spell but strayed a little in line and length, being hit for a maximum in his first over after some jock in the slips quipped that the batsmen should be reminded that they were playing a one-day game.

Frago (0/2 from 2) came on to replace Skinner but was soon troubled by an ankle injury that saw him leave the field after just a couple of overs. Millar replaced him and continued his tight one-day lines, frustrating the batsmen into playing false shots. Ellison (0/10 from 4) replaced Lappan before Ranney was introduced into the attack and immediately settled into tight lines that contained the batsmen.

(The skipper in action)

When Millar (1/22 from 7) took the first wicket, they needed 8 an over from the remaining 30 and the Colts were looking for bonus points. Weaver was providing encouragement from slips even though he confused about which team he was playing for ('Go the Hawks'). The only disappointing facet of the day was that a few regulation chances were missed behind the wicket but they didn't prove costly.

Ranney's spell (1/28 from10) helped seal the victory and deserved more than the one wicket he picked up. His skills will be vital if the Colts are to bowl teams out on such a great batting track. 'Skinny' Skinner came back for a second spell and picket up a couple of vital wickets bowling much improved lines and end with the figures of 2/52 from his full allotment.

The pizza boy (1/33 from 4), fresh from his debut half-century was thrown the ball and, despite seeing it sail over his head a couple of times, picked up his maiden wicket at the Gordon club. Selby (0/15 from 3), who has been press-ganged into keeping for the Colts, gave the gloves to the injured Frago and had a go with the ball in the dying stages of the match before Lappan bowled out the game.

Entire articles should be devoted to the tireless way Lappan applies himself in the field and with the ball in hand. Still looking for his first wicket this season (on an unforgiving Beauchamp Oval), his last ball of the day cut the opposition captain in half and sent stumps and bails to the four corners of the oval' 'No ball''Wow' has Lappan vocabulary substantially improved over the off-season.

Unfortunately, the story gets no better. The final ball saw the reprieved Hawks captain dispatch Lappan for a maximum back over his head to finish the match. Only the stumps at the bowler's end went flying this time as the poor bowler relieved his frustration.

However, with a good bunch of blokes coming together for 2006/07, talent to spare and a mindset of application and commitment, the Colts will again be a force this season.

Dave Millar

Colts Report Round 2 vs Randwick

Colts Report Round 2 vs Randwick

How To' Beat The Heat

The Colts stepped out onto a scorching Beauchamp Oval knowing that taking off the covers and setting up the sight screens would safely constitute a solid warm up. 'Inzi' sprints wouldn't filter down the grades this week. In fact, most of the Colts were ready just to sit in the stands and watch as the top order to full advantage of another piece of highway masquerading as a pitch.

(Andrew Lappan at Beauchamp)

Unfortunately, the Pommy captain from Randy-Petes Gold stuck with Her Majesty at the toss and the Colts were out in the field. Short spells for the quicker men were going to be the order of the day and Lappan (who at the start of the day was on a total for 4 fantasy points from 3 rounds) continued his tight lines from last week from one end, whilst Skins honed in on the stumps from the other' but allow me to digress.

Much has been said recently about the friendliness of the Australian cricket team towards the Poms and pinpointing this as a reason for why they lost the Ashes. Personally, I don't believe that was the case. The Aussies played hard on the field and then shared a beer or four off the field. Cricket was most definitely the winner and, unfortunately, this time the Aussies were outplayed.

Those same qualities are found in each and every member of the Colts team. Already the team is beginning to gel. The guys are ready to get stuck in and support their mates. Lift themselves and those around them. Continue to set high standards. Retain their spots in the team. Put pressure on those in higher grades. Enjoy their cricket.

I'm sure you will all agree, there is hardly a better feeling than coming out, playing well and beating Randwick-Petersham. They are a good grade club and play hard cricket. I, however, wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to provide any of them with a character reference. Jim Cattlin, who is giving up his time this season to provide assistance at Beauchamp, was left no alternative but to manage scoring, updating the scoreboard, organising drinks and a variety of other tasks whilst the Gordon boys were out on the field. There was no voluntary assistance offered by the Randwick-Petersham captain or his team.

Incidentally, I was very pleased with the way that the boys handled numerous decisions that went against the Colts in the first session of the day. Although there were a few choice words (nothing like Lappan's outburst last week), everyone kept their composure and continued to plug away.

With umpires from the opposition adjudicating on LBW's and catches down the leg side, decisions can often appear to favour the batting side ' especially when Skins had numerous deliveries that appeared very adjacent' but back to the game.

After the quicks had been denied many good shouts for LBW and a couple of catches as well, it was the spin combination of Ranney and Marvell that began to apply the pressure. Ranney continued to bowl tight lines, but failed to pick up a wicket. It was Marvz that struck twice before the long break ' good catches to the opening combination of Weaver and Legge - and Skins picked up a third to put the Colts in a very respectable position with Randy-Petes 3/108 from the 40 overs.

(Sam Ranney in action)

After the break it was the Lappan and Marvz show with the 'Moon Tan' Lappan breaking his pre-Christmas wicket drought. As he constantly assured his captain, once the first comes, the rest just follow. And they did.

Marvz took a specky in close on the off-side and then was granted an easy one the following over ' both from Lappan. He then chose to do it all himself in his final over, knocking poles every which way, before coming off for a spell. Marvz was then given another opportunity by his skipper to clean up the remaining wickets.

As skipper of Colts, leading (and collating) the Fantasy League, rumours must be rife around the club at the moment. Marvell, already well over 200 points and only into his second game, is priced well below market value ' at $40,000 ' and is looking a considerably better buy than that one-hit wonder priced (appropriately) at $70,000. A trade for Craig Knight ($30,000), as he ships off to Perth, during the Christmas trading period would certainly be on the cards.

I thought I should lay my cards on the table.

Kelly (captain), Kenner, Knight, Bombas, Longhurst. Hugh potential, PG's games, 1st grade one-dayers, proven wicket takers. An outstanding top 5.

(The Millar fantasy league captain Matt Kelly)

Medcalf, Cubbage. Match winners and (hopefully) PG's superstars.

Rosen. Surely plenty more catches this season.

Archer, Ling, Thomlinson, Mahaffey. Lethal with the ball in their respective grades. PG's potential as well.

Only $850,000 and nearly all have had strong performances yet again this week. Keep it up boys.

Pity Marvell wasn't around when the fantasy teams were being picked. I don't have the added incentive to bowl him from one end all day' but I digress.

JRJ, eager to get his hands on the leather and prove to the selectors that he should be picked in 5th grade or higher, bowled a sustained line and length and was rewarded with two quality wickets and the miserly figures of 2/9 from 7 overs.

Marvz, the man of the moment, took yet another catch off JRJ, before picking up the final couple of wickets and taking a well earned rest in the sheds.

Randy-Petes were bundled out for 186 and everyone had forgotten about the heat. The constant stream of wickets was a sure fire way to put the discomfort behind us.

Weaver (20*) and Legge (8*) saw the Colts through to stumps and have set up a good platform to build on next week. 0/28 chasing 186. The job isn't over. Not by a long-shot. But good inroads have been made.


Dave Millar

The Webmaster apologises to Dave Millar for not running last weeks report vs Hawkesbury. Simply an oversight.

Click here to read report 



Related News