Player Registration

Colts Round 6 Report vs UTS - Balmain

Colts frolic despite their age

Youthful would not have been the term to describe the Colts composition for the game against UTS-Balmain. Experienced would have been kind. Old may have been more accurate.

With the club a few players short due to injuries, schoolies and weddings, the Colts gladly welcomed Dave Storey and Matt Selby out of retirement to showcase their experience against one of the cellar-dwellers of the Metropolitan Cup. Michael Falk was also amongst the line-up ' just happy that he wasn't making another one of 'those' trips to Sutherland to which the Stobo Salute glowing referred.

With the former captain of 5th Grade in the side, Millar was hoping for some advice regarding the coin toss. Storey was of little use. 'Tails never fails, blah blah blah'. Well' it hasn't failed for the opposition all year.

The Colts were sent in to bat on a slow track and an even slower outfield. There were patches of grass so long that tickled the calves of the players during the warm-up. There was no fielding soccer ' more a gentle easing into physical activity for some of the players.

Falk and Matt Selby ease gently into the game

Russell-Jones accompanied Sajdeh out into the centre but departed at the end of the first over after he played all around a full toss to be dismissed for 2. Doug 'The Pizza Boy' Harris, who yet again was suffering from poorly cooked prawns, was seeing two or three balls out in the centre, but not getting firm contact on any of them. Millar, from his position as umpire, continued to remind Harris of the handful of centuries he has seen during his time at the club from batsmen who, too, had eaten a few bad prawns the night before.

Sajdeh, probably feeling a little bewildered by his estrangement from long term batting partner, Richie 'Sticks' Kenner, put his head down, got his feet moving and set the Colts up for a big score. The partnership between Harris and Sajdeh was broken when Sajdeh was adjudged LBW for 48.

Selby, younger, didn't last long and was dismissed for a fluent 11 when he hit a return catch to the bowler. Hugh has looked in good form the past couple of knocks and his skills will be invaluable this coming week against Sydney Uni.

Selby, older, blasted a few balls to the ground's extremities before missing a straight one and was cleaned up for 15 in his return to the batting crease. Passing Millar on the way back to the pavilion he provided the useful insight that he 'seemed to have missed that one - sorry skipper.' 4/170

Hugh Selby - an integral part of the Colts successes

Millar and Harris combined, with Millar still in Harris' ear about the possibility of his first century for the Gordon club. Unfortunately he was caught directly in front of the sticks for a very well played 92.

Falk joined Millar and began to build on the 190 runs already amassed. However, with the light fading and the clouds encroaching, the run rate needed to be lifted. Millar tried one too many big shots and was well caught for 25. Falk was left on 24* overnight as the rain began to fall. It was 6:20pm and the Tigers had only managed to bowl 70 overs throughout the day. Too many needless underarms at the stumps ' almost ever ball ' and generally very sluggish between overs meant that the game continued to drag on and on. Hopefully this wouldn't hurt the Colts on Day 2.

The second day began badly. Sajdeh's mate, Aran, who had kindly offered to fill in for us, failed to show and it was left to Millar to find a replacement at the last minute. Mr Millar immediately sprung to mind, and with a Gordon shirt, whites and shoes, he combined perfectly with Falk and Storey to boost the 'experience' of the Colts side.

Although the rest of the ground seemed bone dry, the covers had left a wet spot on a good length. After a quick discussion with the UTS-Balmain boys, it was decided that the match would go ahead as planned and, with Falk on 24* and Aran 'John Sawtell' Nagandra 0*, Millar declared with the score at 6/245.

Storey, who didn't get an opportunity to wield the willow the previous week, asked Sajdeh for advice from which end to bowl. Sajdeh confidently replied that he thought the ball was definitely doing more in the air from the south end' Storey, amused and slightly bewildered at Sajdeh's response, chose the north end from which to 'charge' in. Millar allowed this as there was a significant gale coming from the north and Storey was looking for all the assistance he could find.

Tom Millar - It was a long day for the body!

Clifford, who arrived just moments before the game after changing yet another one of Sam Ranney's 'flat tires', was forced to work uphill into the gale.

Well' what does one write about the performance of Storey? I'm sure that the like of Packman or Tiddles would have already heard about the 'massive amounts of movement [he was] getting in the air and off the deck' (quote: Storey ' like Medcalf, I too choose to acknowledge my sources). Whilst it would be hard to argue this point, for he was consistently beating the bat, the lack of pace was a noticeable talking point amongst the 8 players he had positioned behind point 'for the edge'.

Falk was cutting a lonely figure at deep mid-on ' placed there by Storey for the miscued drive.

It was Clifford that struck first, then Storey chimed in with a couple, Ranney came on and bowled an impressive spell which drew three wickets from the Tigers including a spectacular catch in his follow through. Always a team player, Ranney stuck to a line outside off stump to ensure that any balls hit in the air would find their way into the safe hands of those players he had included in his fantasy team. The plan paid off with Clifford taking catches as well.

Millar picked up a couple of wickets, including a good catch at second slip to Sajdeh, whose regular position at mid-off/on was filled by Millar Snr and Falk, and then Clifford cleaned up the tail.

The Tigers were dismissed for 92 in 30 odd overs leaving the Colts a distinct chance of an outright victory.

Over the tea break Storey took a quick nap, after his 8 overs in the first innings, and Millar Snr attempted to keep warm after chasing nearly every ball throughout the afternoon. The ball just seemed to follow him around the park. He was going to be sore the next day.

Dave Storey recharges the batteries between innings

The second dig saw Clifford grab an LBW decision with his first delivery, Storey pick up 3 good wickets and Millar grab a good catch from his own bowling to leave the Tigers at 5/17 with plenty of overs remaining. Unfortunately for the Colts, Storey began to seize up and despite the wind assistance keeping his pace above that of a gentle spinner, the body couldn't handle having a couple more overs squeezed out of it. He retired to fine leg after picking up a total of 6 top order wickets for the Colts. A fine comeback and very much appreciated.

Ranney, who bowled so well in the first dig, copped a hiding from the only UTS-Balmain batsmen to show any fight and ended with 55 runs being taken from his 6 overs. He was replaced by Russell-Jones and, after Clifford had rearranged the woodwork on another 3 subsequent occasions to end up with 7 poles for the match, Falk was given his first opportunity with the ball.

It only took about 10 balls for Falk to complete the outright victory. The last batsman was bowled, stumps were drawn and the Colts had found their place on top of the Metro Cup table after 6 Rounds.


Dave Millar

Note: Tom Millar pulled up pretty well on the Sunday' How about Storey??


Related News